refclock local problem

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jun 25 20:08:02 UTC 2018

ntpsec at goldhill.co.uk said:
> I've just re-installed the same ntp.conf in ntpsec-1.1.1+ and it fails
> silently (nothing in the log).   The offending line is: refclock local
> Commenting that line means all runs as expected.

It works for me.

Did you build it yourself or install a package?
What does ntpd --help say?  The end of the help text should include a list of
the drivers it supports.  If it was built without that driver, it will say
something like this:
  Jun 25 12:55:45 hgm ntpd[16769]: CONFIG: Unknown driver name local

That happens early in the initialization.  It might appear in the main syslog
file (/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog) rather than ntpd.log