selection of .GPS.

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sun Jul 29 22:44:13 UTC 2018

Yo Paul!

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 14:26:17 -0700
Paul Theodoropoulos <paul at anastrophe.com> wrote:

> Ah, okay that makes sense. On boot, the network may not be fully up,
> so my outside peers might not be available yet. Best to have that GPS
> signal available - even if off by multi-ms - until the PPS signal is
> happy, rather than to having nothing at all.

Yes, a common concern.

A few other tricks.

Ntpd starts to use reclcoks and chimers in the same order as in the
ntp.conf file.  So put your best chimers at the top, worst chimers at
the bottom.

Add the 'refer' keyword to your PPS reclock statement.

Use a shorter poll on the more accurate sources.  They they will converge
faster, and be selected before, your other sources.