Buggy WNRO fixup

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Dec 29 19:05:02 UTC 2021

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 03:02:00 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > Basically, if the GPS reports more the 17 leap seconds, then the
> > time has to be aster 1 Jan 2017.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I assume the leap second tangle is so avoid breaking some very old
> test cases by bumping them into the current epoch.

Only the not so very old test cases.  The very old test cases needed
a different fix.  For those, the "# Date:" header in the regression test is
used.

> The code I was expecting doesn't know anything about leaps.
>
> It would be close to:
>   while (t < PIVOT) t += 1024*7*86400

Which will break after 1024 weeks. Which sounds like a lot, but there
are a lot of GPS that are more than 1024 weeks old since their firmware
was cut.

> Are there any GPS units old enough to need to get bumped twice?

Yes.  A few.