Python support policy

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Sep 3 10:37:07 UTC 2020

Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > I don't want to go down this road.  I have ugly memories associated
> > with a smiliar hack in gpsd, long ago.
>
> But what about how it works now?  All the maintainers like it.

Oh dear Goddess. We are *still* mutating shebangs in GPSD?  I must have
blotted that from my memory.

One reason to stop doing this kind of thing is library-path confusion.
Yes, I know we have a lash-up that barely works around that in GPSD
but our Debian package maintainer damn near has an aneurism any time
he thinks about it and I can't blame him a bit.

It will come time to end Python 2 support in GPSD soon.