Python support policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Sep 3 18:07:15 UTC 2020

Yo Richard!

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 02:30:48 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 9/2/20 7:54 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > A big one: RHEL.  As I said earlier, any time Python 2 breaks in
> > gpsd it only takes a day or two for complaints.  I have customers
> > that will be on RHEL for years to come.  They need NTPsec.
> RHEL 6 support (measured in terms of security updates) ends in
> November of this year. So by the time a version of NTPsec releases
> without Python 2 support, we'd be looking at RHEL 7.

And how long until all RHEL 6 folks move to RHEL 7?  What about all the
downstream distros of RHEL 6?

Gentoo also had a plan to be rid of Python 2 by this spring, then this
fall.  They had to push t back until 2021 due to all the Python that
does not yet support Python 3 that users consider essential.  I bet it
gets pushed back again.

Let us just wait until the distros, and most of their users, have moved
on to Python 3.  Until then, ntpsec works fine with Python 2, so no
damage.

We gain nothing but headaches by getting in front of the distros on this
one.