thinking of tagging 1.2.0 for when NTS is officially official.

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 03:59:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 5:51 AM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> I'm expecting there will be a new port number assigned for the KE server.
>   Step 1 will be to listen on both old and new port #
>   Step 2 is to switch the client side to default to the new port #.
>   Step 3 is to stop listening on the old port #.
>
> I'm thinking a day or two between steps.
> We could complicate things with some conf options.

Hal, are we talking of the ntske port, 4460/tcp ?

As I understand it, NTS requires an out-of-band pre-arrangement.  It makes
no sense for me to probe random IP addresses for an NTS server to use, why
would I trust this?  So there would be an existing channel between the
operator and users of the NTS system.

I am still trying to work out the Principle of Least Surprise here, but I
think discoverability part is not required, only the fixing of the
(current) configurations.