thinking of tagging 1.2.0 for when NTS is officially official.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun May 31 05:16:51 UTC 2020

ghane0 at gmail.com said:
> Hal, are we talking of the ntske port, 4460/tcp ?
Yes.

> As I understand it, NTS requires an out-of-band pre-arrangement.  It makes no
> sense for me to probe random IP addresses for an NTS server to use, why would
> I trust this?  So there would be an existing channel between the operator and
> users of the NTS system.

It's not a random address.  It's the default port number to use when you say
something like:
  server bob.example.com nts
You can specify a port number with:
  server alice.example.com:567 nts

"pre-arrangement" and "existing channel" are interesting terms.  You don't
specify the port number when you use ssh or http to talk to a box.  (At least
most of the time.)