Tangle - cookie keys file

Daniel Franke dfoxfranke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 21:19:34 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Gary E. Miller via devel
<devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
> My idiosyncratic read of the FHS would, by default, put the master keys
> in /usr/local/var/lib:
>
> "State information. Persistent data modified by programs as they run,
> e.g., databases, packaging system metadata, etc. "

I have no idea what you're reading because there's no such thing as
/usr/local/var in the FHS. It's /var/local.

The FHS-compliant place to put these keys is $VARDIR/lib/ntp, where
$VARDIR is /var/local if you're installing NTPsec by hand and /var if
it's packaged by your distro. $VARDIR/ntp is specifically prohibited:
"Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
/var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing
list". So is $VARDIR/lib: "An application (or a group of inter-related
applications) must use a subdirectory of /var/lib for its data".