Tangle - cookie keys file

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Mar 7 22:13:59 UTC 2019

Yo Daniel!

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 16:19:34 -0500
Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 3:10 PM Gary E. Miller via devel
> <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
> > My idiosyncratic read of the FHS would, by default, put the master
> > keys in /usr/local/var/lib:
> >
> > "State information. Persistent data modified by programs as they
> > run, e.g., databases, packaging system metadata, etc. "
>
> I have no idea what you're reading because there's no such thing as
> /usr/local/var in the FHS. It's /var/local.

Not according to the Gentoo reading of the FHS.  YMMV.

Plus, my reading of wikipedia.

But I agree you have to look at the spec crosswise to see /usr/local/var.

> The FHS-compliant place to put these keys is $VARDIR/lib/ntp, where
> $VARDIR is /var/local if you're installing NTPsec by hand and /var if
> it's packaged by your distro.

Wikipedia makes no mention, even sideways, of /var/local.

Nor does the base document, FHS 3.0:
	https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs-3.0.pdf

See section 5. "The /var Hierarchy".

> $VARDIR/ntp is specifically prohibited:
> "Applications must generally not add directories to the top level of
> /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
> system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing
> list".

Sounds good.

> So is $VARDIR/lib: "An application (or a group of inter-related
> applications) must use a subdirectory of /var/lib for its data".

Ditto.