Tangle - cookie keys file

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Mar 7 20:09:58 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:59:36 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 3/7/19 1:07 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Dissenting mildly.  For reasons I've explained before I'm trying to
> > move us away from config options.  I will be resistant to adding
> > more in the future. Doesn't mean that we can never do it, but I'd
> > want to see a demonstration of need in each individual case.
>
> You can't really get away from things like PREFIX, SYSCONFDIR, and the
> like. This is one of those things. It sounds like Linux and BSD use
> different directories in this case, which is the justification. Adding
> the option makes things easy for users and packagers. Not adding it
> leaves users without things using their environment's standard file
> paths and forces packagers to carry more patches (which is annoying).

You make it should like "Linux' does it one way.  Various Linux do
this various, incompatible, ways.

> Granted, these problems only affect the people who use paths that are
> not the package default (i.e. if you pick Linux paths, you only create
> this issue for BSD users). I think it's reasonable to pick the
> majority platform as the default, all things equal, but if I was in
> the minority, I'd really like to be treated as a first-class citizen
> with the option rather than ignored.

We can pick a default, but no default would be fine for most linux.

It needs to be configurable for the packager.

My idiosyncratic read of the FHS would, by default, put the master keys
in /usr/local/var/lib:

"State information. Persistent data modified by programs as they run,
e.g., databases, packaging system metadata, etc. "