Tangle - cookie keys file

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Mar 7 19:59:36 UTC 2019

On 3/7/19 1:07 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Dissenting mildly.  For reasons I've explained before I'm trying to move us
> away from config options.  I will be resistant to adding more in the future.
> Doesn't mean that we can never do it, but I'd want to see a demonstration of
> need in each individual case.

You can't really get away from things like PREFIX, SYSCONFDIR, and the
like. This is one of those things. It sounds like Linux and BSD use
different directories in this case, which is the justification. Adding
the option makes things easy for users and packagers. Not adding it
leaves users without things using their environment's standard file
paths and forces packagers to carry more patches (which is annoying).

Granted, these problems only affect the people who use paths that are
not the package default (i.e. if you pick Linux paths, you only create
this issue for BSD users). I think it's reasonable to pick the majority
platform as the default, all things equal, but if I was in the minority,
I'd really like to be treated as a first-class citizen with the option
rather than ignored.

--
Richard