The next big push

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jun 19 22:28:50 UTC 2019

Mark plans to ship a release on Friday.

Sanjeev has told me that from a user-centric point of view NTS is
pretty much wrapped up - working, documented, interoperable.

This brings the question of what our next big technical push is going
to be.  I don't consider this my decision to make.  Mark is our
product stratregist, and I'd like to see a consensus among our senior
devs before we commt to a direction.

That said, I know what *I* want to do next.  Move the whole suite to Go.
I mean everything - the Python and the C.

Several consideratiuons recommend this to me.

* 9 of the 20 bugs presently on our tracker are artifacts of C and a
  C-centric buld system.  They'd a;ll just go away in a Go port.

* No more buffer-overun vulns. Ever.

* Being able to thow out all the manual memory allocation stuff, and
  the plstform-dependent cruft in the packet plumbing, would be good
  for another subtantial decrease in LOC.

* Moving to Go would make anything else we want to do easier, so
  it makes sense to do that first.

I'd like to see two different kinds of responses to this provocation.

1. Are there blockers on the road to Go?

2. No, there's something else more important to do first.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession
or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches
in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the
preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot
say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear
such an instrument. [...] The Militia comprised all males
physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense.
        -- Majority Supreme Court opinion in "U.S. vs. Miller" (1939)