Python module mismatch

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 31 03:46:32 UTC 2019

Gary said:
> The ntpsec ebuild for Gentoo installs multiple python modules.  I wonder if
> this recent change broke that?

I don't remember any recent changes in the install area.

The change was to add version checking.  It has pointed out a real problem
with separate locations for python2 and python3 imports.  If you made a change
in a module API, installed the python2 version but forgot to install the
python3 version, you could get obscure errors.

I don't know anything about Gentoo.

Fedora, Debian, NetBSD, and FreeBSD all install several python modules and the
corresponding binaries.  I think the same list of files get installed for both
python 2 and 3.  The python versions are the same, the binaries may be
different.  We treat them as a bag of bits.