NTP - big picture

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 31 04:29:27 UTC 2019

I think we should step back and look at the big picture.

Eric started working on the bits but got sidetracked on some cleanups.

I think we need to think hard about how/where/when we do the byte swapping.
More in another message.  This isn't specific to NTS, but NTS is the first
time we have used extensions and they are tangled up with byte swapping.

There is discussion going on about the changes to ntp.conf.

The other large area I can see is TLS and certificates.  We are going to need
good documentation to guide a server operator through setting up certificates.
 (Pointers to other documentation are fine.)

We are also going to need documentation for how to setup self-signed
certificates for testing.  I poked around a bit but didn't find what I needed
before I shifted to something else.

If anybody is familiar with TLS, I think it would be wonderful if we had some
throw-away code that was a TLS server and client that we could use for testing
certificates.

Are there any big chunks I didn't mention?