ntp.conf changes for NTS

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Jan 30 20:32:57 UTC 2019

Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> I can see value in this for testing, but IMHO it should be discouraged
> for general use.  I'd like the new ntp.conf syntax to somehow emphasize
> that this is discouraged and optional.

No.  There are several institutions that have multiple servers of which
the user could want to pick always the same one instead of getting one
randomly assigned by the NTS-KE.  Certainly nothing to discourage here,
optional yes.

> So maybe something like:
>
> server ntpd.example.org
> server nts-ke.example.org nts
> server nts-ke.example.org nts ask ntpd.example.org

Again, leave server for plain NTP and use a new keyword.

> And what should we do if the NTS-KE refuses to give us back that
> ntpd server?

The same as if you never get an answer from any other random server you
tried to contact for whatever reason through a proxy.  There's nothing
special about that situation just because you're using NTS.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: