ntp.conf changes for NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jan 30 20:37:59 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 21:32:57 +0100
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> > I can see value in this for testing, but IMHO it should be
> > discouraged for general use.  I'd like the new ntp.conf syntax to
> > somehow emphasize that this is discouraged and optional.
>
> No.  There are several institutions that have multiple servers of
> which the user could want to pick always the same one instead of
> getting one randomly assigned by the NTS-KE.  Certainly nothing to
> discourage here, optional yes.

OK.

> > server ntpd.example.org
> > server nts-ke.example.org nts
> > server nts-ke.example.org nts ask ntpd.example.org
>
> Again, leave server for plain NTP and use a new keyword.

Works for me.  So maybe:

server ntpd.example.org
nts nts-ke.example.org
nts nts-ke.example.org ask ntpd.example.org

> > And what should we do if the NTS-KE refuses to give us back that
> > ntpd server?
>
> The same as if you never get an answer from any other random server
> you tried to contact for whatever reason through a proxy.

But it DOES give you an answer back.

> There's
> nothing special about that situation just because you're using NTS.

Sure there is, we now have a choice that did not formerly exist, and I
can see uses for both:

1. If we do not get desired server: fail
2. If we do not get desired server: use the offered one instead

#2 is new to NTS.

For an unattended server, I would want #2.  For testing, or a closely
watched server, I would want #1.