ntp.conf changes for NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jan 30 20:23:32 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 01:18:38 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 1/29/19 6:11 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Which conflicts with the Proposed RFC which says the NTS-KE tells us
> > which NTPD server, not the config file.
>
> The draft supports a mechanism wherein the client can request an NTP
> server from the NTS-KE server.

    Section 4.1.7.  NTPv4 Server Negotiation

    When this record is sent by the client, it indicates that the client
    wishes to associate with the specified NTP server.  The NTS-KE
    server MAY incorporate this request when deciding what NTPv4 Server
    Negotiation records to respond with, but honoring the client's
    preference is OPTIONAL.

I can see value in this for testing, but IMHO it should be discouraged
for general use.  I'd like the new ntp.conf syntax to somehow emphasize
that this is discouraged and optional.

So maybe something like:

server ntpd.example.org
server nts-ke.example.org nts
server nts-ke.example.org nts ask ntpd.example.org

And what should we do if the NTS-KE refuses to give us back that
ntpd server?