Should we get a waf?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jan 28 16:58:18 UTC 2019

Matthew Selsky <Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com>:
> waf 2.x dropped support for 'type_name' and 'field_name' as arguments to check_cc().  So we'll need to work-around that and any other incompatibilities.  I'll work on this.

Tinkering with the existing build system will have been redundant if
we port to Go, and 1.9 is working well enough.  Thus you should coinsider
this a hedge against a future in which (a) the Go port fails or is incomplete,
abd (b) waf 1.9 goes pear-shaped on us.

(It's not that we actually have a Go port *planned* yet, but the likelihood
that we will go that route is rising and has to be factored into our planning.)

Thus, waf 2.9 workarounds are background priority.