Let's get moving on NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jan 7 20:57:33 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 15:47:57 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Eric said:
> > Gary, for example, thinks we need bidirectional management
> > protocols. Do we?
>
> What's a management protocol?

A protocol used to manage things.  Things like load balancing, key
management, soft shutdowns, statistics gathering, etc.

> Gary said:
> > There is no simple "NTS client" and "NTS server".  There is an
> > NTS-KE that talks to both a client and to an NTPD server.  Two
> > mutually cooperating servers and one client.
>
> I don't understand.  There are two parts to NTS-KE.  One runs on the
> same box as the NTP client and the other runs on the same box as the
> NTP server.

That is not my understanding.  The NTPD (NTP server), and the host it
runs on, do not need to know anything about TLS.  So no need for a
new daemon on the NTPD server side.

The NTPD server just uses the cookie (sorta) like it now handles
preshared keys.

And we keep forgetting that an NTP client is also an NTP server.

> Classic client-server stuff

Sort of.  This is a 3 cornered hat.  Not 2, not 4.

> What am I missing?

Dunno.