Let's get moving on NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 7 00:15:22 UTC 2019

Ian said:
> Bravo to Alpha isn't even mentioned in the draft: it speaks as though the
> two are the same client program.

Right.  That's the whole point of Eric writing things down.  We need to define
what happens there.

We could package Alpha and Bravo in the same program.  Similarly, we could put
Charlie and Delta in the same program.

But ntpd is single threaded and the NTS stuff may take a while so we have to
split it out somehow.  I'm expecting the client end to be something like the
current DNS - a separate thread does things that may block.

I haven't looked at the NTS code.  I was thinking that separate programs
communicating to NTP via pipe/whatever would be the most convenient way to
maintain the code.  That may be convenient for developers but adds a level of
complexity to admins so we should add packaging them together to our task list.

Running as separated programs connected via TCP lets us use wireshark for
debugging.  Debug via printf (aka msyslog) may be more convenient.

Even if we package them together, I think it's appropriate to think of them as
separate boxes.  The NTP level communication for NTS isn't very complicated
but the TLS stuff is ballpark as complicated as DNS.  We want to use a library.