ntpd: program structure

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 7 01:09:06 UTC 2019

Eric said:
> I concur.  I would need to see actual measurements before I've convinced that
> ntpd with even a thosand client connections is a performance-degrading load.

I think there are two cases: popular public servers like NIST and everybody
else.

I agree that the load on most servers is not a problem.  The load on the NIST
servers is huge.  I don't know if the limit is network or CPU.  When the
government screwup gets fixed, I'll see if I can get some data.

If you think we should retain the lockclock code, then we should pay attention
to performance.

I think a small server-only mode could be a good fit for both cases.