ntpd: program structure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jan 7 01:38:04 UTC 2019

> Eric said:
> > I concur.  I would need to see actual measurements before I've convinced that
> > ntpd with even a thosand client connections is a performance-degrading load.
>
> I think there are two cases: popular public servers like NIST and everybody
> else.
>
> I agree that the load on most servers is not a problem.  The load on the NIST
> servers is huge.  I don't know if the limit is network or CPU.  When the
> government screwup gets fixed, I'll see if I can get some data.
>
> If you think we should retain the lockclock code, then we should pay attention
> to performance.
>
> I think a small server-only mode could be a good fit for both cases.

I'm still going to take convincing.  Like, with actual load numbers from
one of those big servers.

We've just seen that a 2.8Ghz system with old, slow memory only goes
to 3% load handling 18K clients.  Load is going to rise by number of
clients probably a bit superlinearly, but this still suggests that
even 180K clients would be quite far from saturating even that
hardware, let alone a modern system.