ntpd: program structure

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Jan 12 19:16:15 UTC 2019

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> Sure, I thought of that.  But if I were to do that I would (as the old hacker
> joke about regexps goes) have *two* problems.  That is, two layers of
> configuration interpretation, both attracting defects.  See "complicated
> and ugly", above.

The configuration currently ends up in some global state.  If that was a
serializable data structure I'd count that as less ugly and more easily
verifyable and debuggable.

> No, but the extra code to manage N different control/status channels
> to N different pieces is a complexity cost that I think could easily
> balloon on us.

It's not like that has cubic complexity or anything like that.  Some of
that complexity cost already exists since you have to figure out where
to get the information from (and what information) depedngin on the type
of clock source you're looking at in ntpq.

Regards,
Achim.