fuzz fix?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Dec 6 03:39:46 UTC 2019

On 12/5/19 8:33 AM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> Last night Richard Laager sent me some IRC stuff indicating that the fuzz mess
> was due to NTS threads calling get_systime() which isn't thread safe.  In
> hindsight, I should have seen that sooner.
>
> I just pushed a fix.  Please test.

I first upgraded the system to 1.1.8. The problem still occurred on
1.1.8, as expected. Then I applied this patch (and the recent logging
changes too so that it would apply cleanly). The problem no longer occurs!

I've backported this fix into the Debian package. That should get
uploaded in a day or so.

> Thanks to all who helped track it down and thanks to Richard for pointing out
> the problem.

I just passed along the notes from IRC. The credit really goes to Achim.

> ----------
>
> I also pushed some other fixes that I worked on over the weekend.
>
> There is now a message that gets added to your log file if there were errors
> parsing ntp.conf.
>   ntpd[5469]: INIT: saw 1 parsing errors
> That covers the problem where the parsing errors go to syslog but you are
> looking in ntpd.log.  (Guess how much time I spent figuring out that I had
> typed "ntp" where I needed "nts".)
>
> The version and command line messages are now repeated after switching to a
> log file.

Are these messages repeated if I'm not using a log file? I want
everything to go to syslog; am I getting duplicated messages?
(Obviously, I haven't tested this.)

Should this perhaps be a define used in both places so they stay in sync?

+void announce_starting() {
+       char buf[1024]; /* Secret knowledge of msyslog buf length */

--
Richard