Re: ✘"server -4 hostname -6" does not IPv6

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Apr 3 01:12:27 UTC 2019

On 4/2/19 7:17 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2019 17:03:43 -0700
> Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>
>>> The -6 after server name is not working for me.
>>> This config:
>>> server -4 pi3.rellim.com -6 nts maxpoll 5  # pi3
>>
>> I think you are trying to do KE over -4 and get a -6 NTP server.

I agree with Gary in that it seems perfectly reasonable that KE and NTP
could be on different address families. If an IPv4 KE server returns a
hostname with only AAAA records, that would happen. Or if it returns an
IPv6 address directly. Or vice versa, with an IPv6 KE server returning a
hostname with only A records or returning an IPv4 address directly.

However, based on the current documentation, I wouldn't expect "server
-4 HOSTNAME -6" to be valid syntax. If this is supposed to work, the
documentation should be updated. And even then, I'd expect that the -4
or -6 should be part of and thus after "nts", not before it. Or perhaps
the -4 or -6 should be part of "ask" or "require", to make it clear that
it applies to the NTP server?

I would, though, expect this sort of syntax to work, once ask and
require are implemented:
server -4 HOSTNAME ask 2001:DB8::1
server -4 HOSTNAME require 2001:DB8::1
server -6 HOSTNAME ask 1.2.3.4