Pending tasks

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Sep 17 19:07:07 UTC 2018

On 09/17/2018 01:27 PM, Ian Bruene via devel wrote:
> The build system needs to accept Go code and do Right Things with it. Go has Very Specific Ideas about what goes where
I have near-zero knowledge on Go, so I'm not arguing for or against
anything here, nor am I qualified to comment intelligently on any
questions this may raise, but I'd like to leave a couple of links to a
blog I regularly read. The author discusses his experiences with Go
versioning from the point of view of a system administrator.

https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/Go1.11VersioningViews

https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/GoVendoringUsage

https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/GoVendoringAndVgo

As a packager of NTPsec, I don't yet have any idea how to handle Go
dependencies in the Debian package, but that's only for lack of looking.
I can't imagine it will be any big deal.

That said, if NTPsec upstream sticks to widely-used libraries, they are
more likely to already be packaged. If you want to see if something is
packaged in Debian or Ubuntu:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
 ^^ packages.debian.org redirects here

https://packages.ubuntu.com

If NTPsec adds dependencies that are not already packaged in Debian,
that will increase my work. I will either need to convince the Debian Go
team to package the dependencies, or I will need to do so myself. The
latter requires a lot more learning about Go.

None of this is specific to Debian. You'll want to keep this in mind for
other distros as well. And it's not totally specific to packaging
either, as people who build from source will need to deal with getting
the Go dependencies in some way (though that may be through Go's system
rather than distro packages).

--
Richard