Pending tasks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Sep 17 20:46:17 UTC 2018

Thanks.

Looks good.  I'll send some more comments in separate messages.

I'm getting closer to actually working on SINGLEBUFFER.

Possible additions:

Refclock cleanup.   The idea is to split the individual refclocks out from the
main ntpd package.  I don't  have good ideas on how to do it.  Maybe use a
pipe.  Maybe use SHM.  ???  The current API is (much?) more complicated than
the obvious refclock stuff.  There is also msyslog and record_clock_stats and
probably others.

SHM cleanup.  The reading side should be read only.

Better testing.  We need live testing as well as build-time tests.

Release procedures:  I was disappointed with the last release.  I don't have a
simple suggestion on how to fix it, but NetBSD 8 was out for a long time
before our release.  This may be tangled up with testing procedures.

---------

What's the relation between your message and devel/TODO?

Should we have a semi-systematic process to review the task list occasionally?
 I'm thinking of roughly monthly.  Sooner if there has been a big change.
Longer if we are all working on something.  But not so long that we don't
pause occasionally to review what we should be doing.