ntpsec | add mid 2018s leap-second.list file under ./etc (!839)

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 18:42:30 UTC 2018

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> > The distros have gotten used to pushing tzdata every 6 months.
> > If we could get the leapsecond data into that package, it would be
> ideal.
>
> It's already in the package they send to IANA and on the IANA servers.
>
> The tzdata-base is updated more often than every 6 months.  They are up to
> "g"
> so far this year.  But they come in clusters rather than a uniform
> distribution.  Examples are at the bottom of:
>   ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/
>
> Latest version is here:
>   ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/data/leap-seconds.list
> I can't find a https URL to just that file.  There are URLs for the whole
> tarball.
>
> The catch is they don't update it automatically.  Somebody has to tell
> them to
> fetch a new version.  No big deal, just an email.  I'm pretty sure we
> could
> get them to do a leap-seconds only release if they didn't have any other
> changes to push out.
>
> If we wanted to be helpful, we could write a script that does whatever and
> sends them a merge request.
>
> ---------
>
> The other problem is to get distros to distribute the leap-seconds file.
> poked Fedora, they did it, but got the wrong format.  (I didn't even know
> there was another format.)  Time to poke them again.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Ubuntu ( or clan Debian) seems to be the exception to the rule afaict.
Slackware and NetBSD package the non-usable derivative and most
other distros seem to not include it at all.

I could try posting an ebuild patch to Gentoo, and look at a PKGBUILD
patch for Arch.

https://github.com/eggert/tz/ seems to be the repository for the tz data
build files with the leap-seconds.list file convieniently in the root
directory.

I might pencil in on my (lack of a) calender to check for a bulletin C
in January and July.