ntpsec | add mid 2018s leap-second.list file under ./etc (!839)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 6 05:38:51 UTC 2018

fallenpegasus at gmail.com said:
> The distros have gotten used to pushing tzdata every 6 months.
> If we could get the leapsecond data into that package, it would be ideal.

It's already in the package they send to IANA and on the IANA servers.

The tzdata-base is updated more often than every 6 months.  They are up to "g"
so far this year.  But they come in clusters rather than a uniform
distribution.  Examples are at the bottom of:
  ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/

Latest version is here:
  ftp://ftp.iana.org/tz/data/leap-seconds.list
I can't find a https URL to just that file.  There are URLs for the whole
tarball.

The catch is they don't update it automatically.  Somebody has to tell them to
fetch a new version.  No big deal, just an email.  I'm pretty sure we could
get them to do a leap-seconds only release if they didn't have any other
changes to push out.

If we wanted to be helpful, we could write a script that does whatever and
sends them a merge request.

---------

The other problem is to get distros to distribute the leap-seconds file.  I
poked Fedora, they did it, but got the wrong format.  (I didn't even know
there was another format.)  Time to poke them again.