Testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Nov 6 22:44:12 UTC 2018

There is a discussion on the TZ list about a screwup in medical software that
can't handle DST changes.  It's also on RISKS.  (But not on their archives
yet.)
  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/

So I'm thinking about testing.

What can we do to help people test NTP?
Does anybody have a list of rough edges?

What should we test before a release to make sure our code is doing what we
expect?
What should end users test to make sure our code is working in their setup?

Are those the same lists?  Or would priorities change?  What does priority
mean?

Should we collect directions (or a script) to semi-automate making leap
seconds?

One possibility would be a build option to enable a config option for
leap-tonight.  That's a kludge, but simple for testers who aren't NTP geeks to
understand.  Plan B would be to hack the leap seconds file.  Cleaner for the
ntpd code, but more complicated overall.