SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 30 20:44:06 UTC 2018

> > What makes it a better idea to wait?
>
> I don't see any clean solution.
>
> There are actually two separate areas.  One is a single socket.  The other is
> interface tracking.
>
> FreeBSD doesn't support single socket.
>
> The interface cleanup gets tangled up with cleaning up the UI.  I don't see
> any clean solution there.

Well, what we do is break it into pieces.  One piece is removing the interface
directive, I think.  We already have a decision by Mark to take out the central
part of it, interface-name filtering.

> RECVBUF:
> > Are you interested in doing this yourself?
>
> It's high on my list, but not the top.
>
> I'll be glad to help if somebody else wants to do it.  It's medium size.
> It's not complicated, but there will be small edits scattered all over the
> place.
>
> It can be done in two steps.  First is to dump the work-queue but still make
> each packet get a buffer from the free queue and go back there.  The second
> is to remove the free queue.

OK.  Ian, those are your marching orders.  This is a task that's not as
big as SINGLESOCK itself but will help you get familiar with that code.