Fedora 28 - python warnings

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat May 12 01:59:30 UTC 2018

On 05/11/2018 08:35 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
>> The system default is Python 2. The distro doesn't want to change
>> this, for backwards compatibility reasons. The distro wants to move
>> as many applications as possible to use Python 3. These both seem like
>> reasonable positions to me.
>
> Sigh.  Not to me.

Are you objecting to backwards compatibility with existing scripts,
wanting as many applications running on Python 3 as possible, or both?

> You want to install NTPsec in a way that it is not
> fully useable by the user with the default python?
> Not good.  That will create a ton of support issues.

I care that running `ntpq` works. I do not care of `python
/usr/bin/ntpq` works, as that is not how users run it.

In this particular application, the executables moved from C to Python
without much in the way of user-visible changes, and that's certainly a
bigger jump than the Python major version.

>> If applications were only allowed to use /usr/bin/python (directly or
>> via env) and not /usr/bin/python2 or /usr/bin/python3,
>
> Uh, who suggested that?  Certainly not how it works now.

You're insisting that all packaged applications must use the default
Python version and shall not be modified to use a non-default Python
version.

--
Richard