Fedora 28 - python warnings

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat May 12 01:35:31 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 20:16:07 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 05/11/2018 08:08 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> >> What exactly is it that you think they're doing wrong?
> > For some version of 'they', they wanted to change the shebang
> > line that NTPsec uses for Python.
>
> The system default is Python 2. The distro doesn't want to change
> this, for backwards compatibility reasons. The distro wants to move
> as many applications as possible to use Python 3. These both seem like
> reasonable positions to me.

Sigh.  Not to me.  You want to install NTPsec in a way that it is not
fully useable by the user with the default python?

Not good.  That will create a ton of support issues.

> Thus, the Python 3-compatible application packages need to
> specifically opt-in to the non-default, newer version of the
> interpreter by modifying their shebang line.

"Need to"?  No.

> That's why they're doing that.

Do what you're gonna do, just don't ask us to drink the Kool-aid.

> If applications were only allowed to use /usr/bin/python (directly or
> via env) and not /usr/bin/python2 or /usr/bin/python3,

Uh, who suggested that?  Certainly not how it works now.

> there is _no
> point_ in having both python2 and python3 installed simultaneously,
> since only one will ever be used.

Say what?  I sent you perfectly good examples of how I use many versions
of Python, with the same python script, with the flip of a switch.

I could suggest to you how many other distributions solve your issue in
trivial ways, but that would be off topic here.  You dug your hole,
enjoy it without me.