Python shebang policy

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Mar 20 21:29:14 UTC 2018

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:19:38 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > On 03/20/2018 01:59 PM, Matthew Selsky wrote:
> > > Sorry, I'm confused.  Why has this option been rejected?
> >
> > Eric S. Raymond just wrote, "I think your objection to having waf
> > futz with them is sound."
>
> To clarify, Gary points out that "python" at runtime is not
> guaranteed to be identical to Python at waf config time.

Yes.

> You might say...well, that's an edge case that can only happen if
> you're manually intalling multiple Pythons for test purposes.

Uh, no.  Not an edge case, that is default Gentoo.  A default Gentoo
install has many versions of python installed.  Some different packages
specify exact python version.  Other different packages use the system
default Python which is trivially selectable.

So, unless Gentoo is an edge case, this is not an edge case.

> But if you're not doing something that edgy, why do you want to set
> python to point to anything but the distro default? And if it's
> python 3, why not let the distro's patch master worry about it?

Well, I think Richard is maintaining the distro patch master.

It would appear that Debian is handling Python differently than other
distros.  So he wants to move his patch set upstream into NTPsec.  I
suspect some other distros might want to use it, but many will not.