Python shebang policy

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 22:18:02 UTC 2018

I've read the thread.

We will not do shebang munging for Python versioning.

This is something for the distro packagers to do.   I understand that it
makes some work for Debian (and thank you for doing that!), but I like the
Debian patch that does it: it's big, bright, clear and obvious what it's
doing.

..m

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Yo Eric!
>
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:19:38 -0400
> "Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > >
> > > Eric S. Raymond just wrote, "I think your objection to having waf
> > > futz with them is sound."
> >
> > To clarify, Gary points out that "python" at runtime is not
> > guaranteed to be identical to Python at waf config time.
>
> Yes.
>
> > You might say...well, that's an edge case that can only happen if
> > you're manually intalling multiple Pythons for test purposes.
>
> Uh, no.  Not an edge case, that is default Gentoo.  A default Gentoo
> install has many versions of python installed.  Some different packages
> specify exact python version.  Other different packages use the system
> default Python which is trivially selectable.
>
> So, unless Gentoo is an edge case, this is not an edge case.
>
> > But if you're not doing something that edgy, why do you want to set
> > python to point to anything but the distro default? And if it's
> > python 3, why not let the distro's patch master worry about it?
>
> Well, I think Richard is maintaining the distro patch master.
>
> It would appear that Debian is handling Python differently than other
> distros.  So he wants to move his patch set upstream into NTPsec.  I
> suspect some other distros might want to use it, but many will not.
>
> RGDS
> GARY

Mark Atwood
http://about.me/markatwood