Python shebang policy

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 20 21:19:38 UTC 2018

Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> On 03/20/2018 01:59 PM, Matthew Selsky wrote:
> > Sorry, I'm confused.  Why has this option been rejected?
>
> Eric S. Raymond just wrote, "I think your objection to having waf futz
> with them is sound."

To clarify, Gary points out that "python" at runtime is not guaranteed to be
identical to Python at waf config time.

You might say...well, that's an edge case that can only happen if you're
manually intalling multiple Pythons for test purposes.

But if you're not doing something that edgy, why do you want to set python
to point to anything but the distro default? And if it's python 3, why not
let the distro's patch master worry about it?