warning:Mime-Version: 1.0

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:41:05 UTC 2018

On 06/18/2018 03:37 PM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> Ah, now that's the kind of error pattern I *expect* from Bison parsers.
> The underlying problem is that the C in Bison parser skeletons is
> really archaic. It dates from times when not even the value of
> procedural encapsulation was fully understood - thus all those ugly
> globals hanging out in front of God and everybody.
>
> It's not actually in the least difficult to design a skeleton that
> gets this right.  I did it once.  The point is that that warning is nothing
> we're doing wrong, it's GCC correctly noticing that the skeleton code kinda
> sucks, and we probably *would* have to build a custom skeleton to
> fix it.  I have seen this movie before.

So why haven't the skeletons been fixed in all this time? The only
reasons I can see are Write Once Forget Forever, and unwillingness to
use more modern features that not all projects are able to use (which
could be an option switch).

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb

I work for the Internet Civil Engineering Institute <https://icei.org/>,
help us save the Internet from Entropy!