warning:Mime-Version: 1.0

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Jun 18 20:37:46 UTC 2018

> devel at ntpsec.org said:
> >> It only generates warnings on a few systems.  I don't see why not
> >> on the  others.   ??
> > I looked at the code. Noting mysterious or suspcious there; has to be some
> > kind of compiler version-skew issue.
>
> Or a glitch in my brain.
>
> I'm seeing it now in modern systems.

Ah, now that's the kind of error pattern I *expect*  from Bison parsers.

The underlying problem is that the C in Bison parser skeletons is
really archaic. It dates from times when not even the value of
procedural encapsulation was fully understood - thus all those ugly
globals hanging out in front of God and everybody.

It's not actually in the least difficult to design a skeleton that
gets this right.  I did it once.  The point is that that warning is nothing
we're doing wrong, it's GCC correctly noticing that the skeleton code kinda
sucks, and we probably *would* have to build a custom skeleton to
fix it.  I have seen this movie before.