Request for data / ntpsnmpd report

Jason Azze jason at azze.org
Tue Jan 9 15:58:49 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> I have nearly finished filling out the MIB tree for SNMP. What gaps are left
> involve data I do not know how to get:

At the risk of sounding like a drop-out from a Scrum Master training
camp, could you explain briefly what the "story" is for this tool?

I use SNMP every day to monitor the health of lots of servers and
services, but, to be honest, I haven't been able to follow what you're
trying to achieve with ntpsnmpd.

If I run it on a time server, will I (in my capacity as a sysadmin
running time servers) be able to aim my monitoring system at it make
queries about the state of ntpd?

Health and performance monitoring is certainly my use case for ntpviz.
It would be great to be able to get metrics from time servers using
monitoring tools I'm familiar with (Cacti, Icinga, Nagios, OpenNMS,
etc.).

Just to clarify, I'm not criticizing your effort or purpose. I just
literally don't know what the goal is even though I feel like I've
been following along.

Best,
Jason