Request for data / ntpsnmpd report

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 15:26:16 UTC 2018

I have nearly finished filling out the MIB tree for SNMP. What gaps are
left involve data I do not know how to get:

* Time Resolution (not to be confused with Time /Precision/, which is
one of the first entries I implemented)

* Time Distance

* Validation for the TestSet sequence. According to the RFC this is one
of the most complicated parts of an agent to get right. Currently it is
setup to be failsafe, which we can get away with for now because the NTP
MIB only has two writable entries, and simple ones at that.

* Check if ntpd configuration changed. The description listed in the RFC
is: "The notification to be sent when the NTP configuration has changed,
e.g., when the system connected to the Internet and was assigned a new
IP address by the ISPs DHCP server.". But I do not know the full extent
of what to check, or how to do so.

There are other issues, but they mostly have to do with refactoring and
robustifying the code. The ones I am listing here require input from
someone else.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb