Version strings

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Mon Jan 8 22:27:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 02:06:18PM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:

> > Long-term, I'd like to simplify and just do the same git checks within waf
> > itself.
>
> It's got to work without git, and it has to get the same checksum when built
> from git or tarball.  I think that means you have to stash the git timestamp
> in a local file.  That file doesn't get checked into git, but it does need to
> go into the tarball.
>
> If you are working in waf, please add an option to use the build time rather
> than the git time and/or tell me what I have to do to get a new version
> string when I rebuild after editing something.

Yes, what if we build the version from the VERSION file (+ last git commit short hash + BUILD_EPOCH, only when building from git)?

This would avoid having to calculate the distance to the tag, etc, that autorevision currently does.

The BUILD_EPOCH would still only be set at configure time, so you'd need to do "waf configure build" after each edit, instead of just "waf build".

Does that simply things enough, while still remaining usable for devs?

Thanks,
-Matt