Version strings

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Jan 9 18:42:57 UTC 2018

Hal Murray via devel writes:
>> Long-term, I'd like to simplify and just do the same git checks within waf
>> itself.
>
> It's got to work without git, and it has to get the same checksum when built
> from git or tarball.  I think that means you have to stash the git timestamp
> in a local file.  That file doesn't get checked into git, but it does need to
> go into the tarball.

It would be a mistake to check in anything version or date-related into
Git, but yes, you have to generate something for the tarball.  That gets
tricky if people want to use the worktree tarball that you can get from
Gitlab, though.

> If you are working in waf, please add an option to use the build time rather
> than the git time and/or tell me what I have to do to get a new version
> string when I rebuild after editing something.

rm wafhelpers/.autorevision-cache

If you want to be really sure, check out a fresh worktree for each build
and nuke it afterwards.  The full build unfortunately takes long enough
that I don't always do it that way.

However, if you have multiple versions of the library installed on your
machine you just may pick up the wrong one and wonder why it's not
updating.

Regards,
Achim.