Version strings

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 8 22:06:18 UTC 2018

> Long-term, I'd like to simplify and just do the same git checks within waf
> itself.

It's got to work without git, and it has to get the same checksum when built
from git or tarball.  I think that means you have to stash the git timestamp
in a local file.  That file doesn't get checked into git, but it does need to
go into the tarball.

If you are working in waf, please add an option to use the build time rather
than the git time and/or tell me what I have to do to get a new version
string when I rebuild after editing something.