Attn: Install path debaters

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 5 04:05:10 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:42:02 -0600
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> On 01/04/2018 09:29 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > I must admit to being lost as to how this gets all mixed up in the
> > PYTHONPATH confusion.
>
> Because /usr/local is not in the default sys.path on some distros,

Oh, so we ARE talking about !615.

And yet, this used to work fine before people started getting
PYTHONPATH and sys.path all confused.

You already know my opinion on that.  And Ian's.

> My proposal is the actual !615.

Oh, well.  That is what I thought we were taling about.  Somehow
a bunch of different issues have been conflated.  I had no idea issue
428 got sucked into this as well.

> Your proposal was "my MR is trivial: leave as is, except revert the
> patch that removed the PYTHONPATH guidance to the builder." Your
> proposal to leave things as is does not fix your #414. I asked if you
> wanted to amend your proposal in light of that.

Uh, yes.  My proposal does.  But I'll not work on a better answer
while people still going on this !615 wild goose chase.

> Can you also re-test with !615 (to embed locations in build products)
> to see if it fixes #414 and/or #428?

I will, but...

Any proposal that embeds paths in build products is broken.  I already
described in grewat detail several of the failure mechanisms and will
not repeat myself.

!615 is dead.