Should we just remove the broadcast option?

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Wed Feb 21 03:42:56 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 03:25:52AM +0000, Mark Atwood via devel wrote:
> I think all modern Windows machines get their address from their domain
> controller, or from ntp?.microsoft.com

Per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/get-started/windows-time-service/accurate-time, Windows Time Service, aka W32Time, uses the primary domain controller, time.windows.com, or your local NTP server if configured, depending on the role and version of Windows.

You can also run Meinberg's port of NTP classic (available at https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable)

Is there a reference for the scenario that broadcast servers are useful for "a bunch of Windows machines on a lan"?

Cheers,
-Matt