Split out ntpleapfetch

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Thu Dec 6 21:18:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 11:48:37AM -0800, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> I think we should remove ntpleapfetch from the main package and tarball -
> probably move it off to a separate package.

Classic includes a perl version of the script (as /usr/bin/update-leap) in their packaging.  So we should have something in our package (in a language of our choosing), or we need to explain clearly why we diverged from Classic.

> Leaf sites shouldn't need it.  They can get the leap-tonight from their
> upstream servers.
>
> Many sites that do need it can get it from their distro.  We should encourage
> distros to package it their time zone data.

Yes, many sites won't need it.  Either because they get the data from GPS, upstream, or their distro.  But we can provide the tool for those that need it.

> It has too high a chance of turning into a DDoS on the web servers providing
> leap-seconds.list.

Why?  We're not shipping a cronjob that calls it.  And neither are the packagers.  Any DDoS would be the responsibility of the site admins for creating their own cronjobs that are out of control.

Thanks,
-Matt