Split out ntpleapfetch

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Dec 6 19:58:15 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 11:48:37 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> I think we should remove ntpleapfetch from the main package and
> tarball - probably move it off to a separate package.

I'd prefer to fix it instead.

> Leaf sites shouldn't need it.  They can get the leap-tonight from
> their upstream servers.

We have a lot of NTP run off net.

> Many sites that do need it can get it from their distro.  We should
> encourage distros to package it their time zone data.

I'm unaware of any distro that distributes the leap file.  I'm all
for encouraging them, but until they do it, we have to.

RFC guidance is to not depend on secondary copies.

> It has too high a chance of turning into a DDoS on the web servers
> providing leap-seconds.list.

So fix ntpleapfetch.  Maybe look at the file data on the local copy
and refuse more than once a month.