Contribute to the project the right way

Mark Atwood, Project Manager mark.atwood at ntpsec.org
Mon Aug 13 04:05:09 UTC 2018

You are on the right track.  You are discovering how git workflows work.

Feel free to keep asking questions on this mailing list.

Also, feel free to write up your experience, as a blog post, and to suggest
improvements to our HACKING.txt document.

Thank you for playing with NTPsec, and welcome!

..m

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:55 PM MIKE MAJOR via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to start proposing some changes to the HOWTO. Originally I
> assumed that I would clone the repo to my local computer, make changes and
> push them back to the repo.
>
> I've spent some time today learning about gitlab and projects and
> contributing. Now I think that the correct way is to fork the project into
> my own gitlab repo. I would clone my gilab fork to my local computer.
> Changes would be made there and then pushed to my repo. Then I would make a
> merge request from my own repo to the ntpsec official repo.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>
> Is there someone I should talk to off-list with these sorts of questions?
> Perhaps the devel list doesn't need to get clogged with these high level
> questions.
>
> I found devel/hacking.txt and read it. That is good info. I'm sure I'm not
> going to be hacking there yet. Web pages and HOWTO are a good start for me.
>
> I also just found that the ntpsec.org web page docs are in a different
> repo (NTPsec/www). Also good to know.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Mark Atwood