Contribute to the project the right way

MIKE MAJOR ossfm at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 02:54:48 UTC 2018

Hello all,
I would like to start proposing some changes to the HOWTO. Originally I assumed that I would clone the repo to my local computer, make changes and push them back to the repo.

I've spent some time today learning about gitlab and projects and contributing. Now I think that the correct way is to fork the project into my own gitlab repo. I would clone my gilab fork to my local computer. Changes would be made there and then pushed to my repo. Then I would make a merge request from my own repo to the ntpsec official repo.

Am I on the right track?

Is there someone I should talk to off-list with these sorts of questions? Perhaps the devel list doesn't need to get clogged with these high level questions.

I found devel/hacking.txt and read it. That is good info. I'm sure I'm not going to be hacking there yet. Web pages and HOWTO are a good start for me.

I also just found that the ntpsec.org web page docs are in a different repo (NTPsec/www). Also good to know.

Thanks in advance,Mike