Fix for Python library path problem

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Wed Sep 27 22:51:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:

> What we see that pip does, is edit the sys.path to include the
> location an egg is installed.  That looks to me like a method
> to go forward with.

That sounds plausible, but we need to figure out how it does that.  It's
not just about "editing" sys.path.  Although the latter is just a Python
list which can be modified in the usual ways at runtime, pip seems to be
setting up something that gets processed by Python at its startup time to
effectively augment sys.path *persistently*, without any action on the
part of the program being run.

I'll try to figure this out, but the fact that I don't see any "egg stuff"
in any Linux sys.path here makes it harder.  It only matters for Linux,
since get_python_lib() returns FHS-compliant results on *BSD, and on OSX
the paths are so completely different that FHS doesn't apply.

Fred Wright